Notable features include the Palladian Bridge over the River Nadder and the wonderfully ornate Double Cube Room – the finest surviving 17th century stateroom in England. The house contains some beautiful pieces of art and the grounds include 21 acres of gardens and parkland.
A particular favourite for children is the adventure playground.
In 1544, the buildings and land were granted by Henry VIII to Sir William Herbert. The 17th Earl initiated a major programme of restoration and improvement, and the current Earl is working on the restoration of the Dining Room and Cloisters.
Throughout the year various events are held including an antiques fair, charity runs and it used to host Wilton Classic and Supercar.