The Stables Gallery houses one of the most important prehistoric archaeological collections in Britain
Huge circular bank and ditch and inner circle of great standing stones, covering an area of over 28 acres. Avebury is one of the most impressive prehistoric sites in Britain
Spectacular 14th century monastic stone barn, 51 metres long, with an amazing timber cruck roof.
Westbury White Horse sits below an Iron Age hillfort. Cut into the hillside in 1778, it replaced an older horse.
Pretty flint-walled and thatched 13th century chapel of St Martin.
Ruins and earthworks of a royal castle dating mostly from the 12th and 13th centuries, used as a hunting lodge. The remains of the medieval cross stand in the centre of the village.
Earthworks of a Neolithic henge and monumental mound, by a loop in the River Avon.
18th century brick dovecote, with most of its nesting boxes intact.
Site of the original Salisbury, this Iron Age hill fort was where the first cathedral once stood. The Old Sarum Landscapes Project is looking at the archaeology of the area.
14th century ruins set in landscaped grounds beside a lake
The largest artificial mound in Europe, comparable in size to the Egyptian pyramids.
Neolithic stone circle. One of the wonders of the world and the best-known prehistoric monument in Europe.
Begun in about 3000 BC as a complex circle of timber posts, later replaced by stones.
This ‘avenue’ originally of around 100 pairs of prehistoric standing stones, was raised to form a winding 1 1⁄2 mile ritual link between the pre-existing monuments of Avebury and The Sanctuary.
One of the largest and most impressive Neolithic chambered tombs in Britain. Built in around 3650 BC. Nearly 50 people were buried here.
Classic Neolithic causewayed enclosure, with three concentric but intermittent ditches.
Dating from about 2300 BC, markers now replace rings of timber posts, which once possibly supported a ring-shaped building.